“If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”

- Alice in Wonderland.

We don't need to create a world of our own to find nonsense in our daily lives. It keeps you on your toes and keeps life interesting.

So are you paying attention it? Cause I am.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Coconuts That Save Lives.

Yesterday I had been talking to one of my friends about a local blood drive and I mentioned that I couldn't participate because I pass out whenever they take my blood. We ended up somewhere off on a tangent as most people do in deep conversations and were talking about how awesome it would be if there was anything, with all of our medical and technological advances, that could naturally replace human blood without humans actually giving blood. It went from robots to plants and out of sheer boredum the art of googling then commenced.

And then I found this fun fact....
Coconuts water (that liquid inside a fresh coconut) can save lives!

It's apparently good for the body in three essential ways.

1. You can drink it!
 And it's a naturally healthy and diet friendly drink. So when summer time comes along and you really want to pick up that diet coke, just remember coconut water is 10x better for you.

2. It'll flush out those damn kidney stones!
Medical researchers in the Philipines have found that coconut water is a natural kidney stone cleanser and when it's fresh and young it can even help dissolve them.

3. Last but not least, coconut water can be used in blood transfusions!
And so it seems my friend and I were able to find proof that there is a natural substitute. It was used way back when in WWII, but then again the world made many mistakes in that era, but that's besides the point. Basically, the glucose in the coconut water is similar to that of human blood. In emergency situations it can be used as intravenous hydration fluid instead of regular IV fluid.

Then I got even more curious and wanted to see what else can be replaced with blood in emergency situations and got all these "artificial blood" articles and proceeded to get creeped out by the fact that scientists can actually make fake blood...lovely. I'd rather stick to the natural stuff, thanks though.

No comments:

Post a Comment